Folk Dances Around the World
Watch and Listen
First, listen to some of the dance music performed in Tiny Tots: Music of the World.
Ah Si Mon Moine Voulait Danser – Canada
Romanian Folk Dances – Romania
The Peat Dance – Denmark
During or after listening, talk about the music with your child(ren). Some great questions to start with:
- Did you have a favorite piece of music?
- Were any of the pieces very different from the others?
- What similarities or differences did each piece have from the others?
- Is the music fast or slow? Happy or sad sounding? Smooth or bouncy?
- Which piece made you want to dance the most?
Now, experiment with different dance styles to match the different characteristics of each piece. As you listen to each piece:
- Have children move their bodies in different ways based on how the music feels to them.
- Does the music change throughout the piece in a way that makes you move your body differently as you listen?
- Play around: Can you dance using only your legs? Only moving your arms? Without smiling?