STEAM for Preschool – Elementary
From the Activity Guide: STEAM for All Ages
Homemade water xylophones allow kids to hear and see the science of sound in action. Follow this easy tutorial to create your own water xylophone at home. Engage your kids in the scientific process by following these steps:
- Create your hypothesis: What will happen to the sound when different amounts of water are added to each glass.
- Make the water xylophones Depending on the age of your child(ren), let them take the lead on filling each glass with different amounts of water. It’s a great motor skill activity. Now they can test their hypothesis by playing their xylophones.
- Have them evaluate their hypothesis: was it correct or incorrect?
- Have some fun testing even more variables:
- What happens if you tap the glasses with a plastic knife versus a metal knife or another item?
- Does tapping on different parts of the glass change the sound?
- Does it sound different filled with a different liquid? What about if it’s filled with cotton balls?
- Have some fun changing the water levels and see if you can play a song.
Wrap up your scientific exploration with this playlist full of science-inspired music.
Find this and other activities in the full Activity Guide: STEAM for All Ages