For monthly updates on our resources, programming, and events, Sign up for our newsletter.
Upcoming events, performances, and deals for the arts-interested parent.
- Music Together at Mile Hi Music: 2 Week Holiday Classes (dates vary)- Get in a joyful holiday mood with holiday classes! Each class is full of singing and dancing and lots of instruments with all your favorite holiday songs. Pick one class time and you’ll get to come twice, for 2 weeks in a row. $30 for 2 weekly classes, good for the entire family. Siblings and grandparents free! Participating locations in Denver, Aurora, and Louisville.
- Thursday, December 13th: A Kantorei Christmas 2018 at Lone Tree Arts Center– Now an Arts Center tradition, Kantorei returns for their annual holiday concert. Kantorei, or singers, formed in 1997 under the leadership of six friends who decided to form a choir capable of singing a broad range of a cappella choral music. Now in its 22nd full season of performing, the group has expanded into an auditioned ensemble of more than 50 volunteer singers under the direction of Artistic Director Joel M. Rinsema. From a mesmerizing rendition of “Silent Night” to the jubilant “Sleigh Ride,” Kantorei celebrates the season with a special performance of holiday favorites. Tickets are $42.
- December 1st-16th: Granny Dances to a Holiday Drum at Cleo Parker Robinson Theatre– Granny Dances to a Holiday Drum is a multicultural celebration that touches the hearts of people from all backgrounds, igniting the wonder and excitement shared world-wide during the holiday season. Each year, Granny shares wonderful stories from her rich life dancing around the world, making way for new twists and scenes in an artistically energetic production that is lively and fresh every time. No wonder it’s one of the city’s most beloved family traditions, inspiring audiences young and old through the universal language of dance and music! 7:30-9:30 pm; Tickets start at $30.00
- Sunday, December 16th: Ring We Now of Christmas Handbell Concert at Faith United Church of Christ– Have yourself a merry little Christmas with Bells of the Rockies as they perform Ring We Now of Christmas. Let your heart be light as you surround yourself with the delightful sights and sounds handbells bring to this holiday season. FREE event in Windsor, CO.
- Now Through December 23rd: Elf: The Musical at the Arvada Center– Older kids will get a kick out of this production of Elf, that feel-good Christmas movie from 2003 starring Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel. Unlike the movie, Elf: The Musical features a score by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin and some variation on plot twists. It’s definitely different from the film, but fun and whimsical, perfect for an older kid who’d enjoy a holiday outing at the theater. Tickets start at $53.
- Monday, December 31: Noon Year’s Eve at Children’s Museum Denver Marisco Campus- All the sights, sounds, and excitement of Times Square is coming to the Children’s Museum…all before bedtime! Activities include countdowns, bubble wrap fireworks, rainbow confetti, beatboxing entertainment, sparkler and noisemaker crafts, and more. Ticket prices vary. Under 1: free; Ages 1& 60+: $14; Ages 2-59: $16. Members and SNAP recipients receive a 50% discount.
We encourage parents to explore our list of resources below and check back for updates
Inside the Orchestra
- Fun and Games with Music with the San Francisco Symphony. “The music is your playground. Let’s have a little fun!”
- New York Philharmonic Kid Zone. Play match games and complete scavenger hunts, learn about instruments, meet conductors and soloists, make your own instrument or create your own music!
Games and Learning
- Arts Alive: ArtsAlive.ca is a performing arts educational website produced by the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. This site has a ton of information, from answers to questions to videos and podcasts.
- PBS Kids Music Games. Play music to show how you feel, or make music with a sandbox symphony.
- Classical Music Online: A list of resources for downloading free classical music
- Colorado Public Radio: Stream classical music online
- NAXOS: Classics for Children: A selection of children’s classics, including well-loved tales set to music by Prokofiev, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov, and others.
- National Association of Music Parents: If your child is already engaged in learning and instrument, here is a wealth of information for helping them learn and grow.
- SFSKids: Check out educational modules presented as immersive environments and using animal avatars as guides; explore various linkages between composers, instruments and music compositions; game-based techniques to motivate repeated listening and engagement; gesture-controlled simulation scenarios using the mouse and keyboard to provide “hands-on” experiences of playing instrument and conducting music; interactive online tutorials to learn about music basics; the opportunity for users to compose and notate their own original music; and much more.
- Music Learning Community: Learning games at a variety of levels, all designed to gain mastery of the elements of music theory, ear training and rhythmic skills in an exciting, challenging environment.
- Classics for Kids: Games, music lessons, lesson plans and information on composers and classical music.